What you do immediately after you’ve been injured is extremely important. Whether you’ve been injured by a car accident, slip and fall, dog bite, or a defective product, it is important that you keep a few things in mind to preserve the value of your case and get what you deserve.
- Get medical attention immediately.
- Make an official report. Report your injury to the police, store manager, or boss (whatever seems appropriate). List names, numbers, and addresses of all witnesses.
- Watch your words. Don’t apologize and don’t say whether you’re hurt or not.
- Keep track of all of your doctor visits, medications, treatments, diagnoses and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Journal how you are feeling on a day-to-day basis.
- Preserve evidence. Take pictures of injuries, the scene, and physical evidence. Save physical evidence. Return to the scene. Locate witnesses.
- Don’t sign anything unless you know what you’re signing.
- Avoid talking to the friendly insurance adjuster – or even worse settling. Insurance company adjusters sound friendly but they are not on your side and they are trained to settle for as little as possible.
- Get a skilled attorney. A skilled attorney could help you get what you deserve and navigate you through the complicated legal process while you recover from your injury.
- Act quickly, but be patient. Personal injury cases need to be investigated and built as soon as possible, which takes time.
Hiring the right personal injury attorney can mean the difference between winning and losing. Give West Covina personal injury law office, Lem Garcia Law, a call today.