Don’t ruin your case by waiting until you think you need an attorney.
After you’ve been in a car accident, it’s important for you to take the right steps to maximize your potential recovery. After an accident, many people feel sore and shaken up, but they believe that the pain will eventually go away. Unfortunately, that pain often stays the same or worsens over time. Do what’s best for your health and your personal injury claim: seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you wait and see how you feel after a few days or weeks after the accident before seeking medical attention, it will be more difficult to prove that you were injured from the car accident. The sooner you get medical attention, the stronger your personal injury claim will be. If you are concerned about medical bills piling up, an attorney can help make sure that any and all medical bills will be paid from the proceeds of your personal injury settlement. Your attorney may even be able to help lower the cost of your medical bills by negotiating with your medical providers.
The claims process is long and there a lot of things that you can do incorrectly along the way. One misstep could ruin the full potential value of your case. Don’t regret trying to handle your own personal injury claim on your own when it’s already too late. Here are the reasons why it is important to retain an attorney immediately after an accident:
- An attorney can get you more for your case. An experienced attorney will be able to build your case correctly from start to finish to maximize the potential of your case. Further, insurance companies pay out more to attorneys because there is the threat of litigation. Without an attorney, there is no threat of litigation.
- Your medical bills can be paid out of your settlement. The right attorney can help make sure that all of your medical bills (emergency room visit, physical therapy, chiropractor, etc.) can be paid out of your settlement instead out of your pocket. Further, a skilled attorney may be able to negotiate and reduce the amount of your medical bills.
- The first few days after an accident are crucial. After an accident, it is important that all of the right evidence is gathered and recorded so you can prove your claim. A skilled attorney knows what evidence to gather and preserved to make sure that you receive the full potential value of your case.
- You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. This means that you don’t have to pay anything unless you recover something from your personal injury claim. A good lawyer will be able to maximize the value of your claim and get you more than you could have on your own.
- The insurance claim adjuster may try to take advantage of you. As nice as the insurance adjuster may sound over the phone, he is not your friend and he is not looking out for your best interest. The insurance adjuster works for the insurance company and is there to pay you as little as possible to settle your claim. He will attempt to dissuade you from hiring an attorney because he knows that an attorney will be able help you get your full recovery. By retaining an attorney, the insurance adjuster will have to deal with your attorney. A skilled attorney knows how to handle insurance adjusters, knows the true value of your case, and knows how to get it for you.
- It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove. You may know that the accident was not your fault and that you were injured from the accident, but your case isn’t worth very much if you can’t prove it. An experienced attorney knows how to prove that the accident was clearly not your fault and knows how to prove that you were injured from your accident and deserve compensation for your pain and suffering.
- The claims process can be long and convoluted. If you handle your own case, you open yourself up to making a mistake that could cost your case dearly. A skilled attorney will help your case avoid any pitfalls and strengthen it from beginning to end.
Those are just a few reasons why it is important to hire an attorney after your car accident. If you still feel like you would like to handle your claim on your own, here are a few tips:
- Take plenty of pictures. Take pictures of your car, the scene of the accident, the other person’s car, and any injuries you may have.
- Do not write about your accident or post any pictures of your accident on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media.
- Make sure to file a police report and have a copy of it.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Look up the statute of limitations for your claim.
- Report your accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Do much further reading on how to handle your own personal injury claim.
West Covina Accident Attorney, Lem Garcia Can Help
If you’ve been in a car accident, it’s important that you speak with an attorney as soon as possible to preserve the value of your case. Call Lem Garcia Law today so that you can get the true value of your claim. West Covina Accident Attorney, Lem Garcia, can be reached at (626) 337-1111.