If you have a car accident case, you need to understand that a single mistake can be very costly. Just one mistake can cost you thousands of dollars. To make matter worse, you might not even know you’re making a mistake until it’s too late.
To help you out, here’s a list of seven deadly mistakes that can ruin your car accident case:
- Waiting too long to get medical treatment.
- The sooner that you see a doctor, the better it is for you and your case. Don’t wait for days, weeks, or months. See a doctor right away. A doctor will make sure that you are OK and the doctor’s report will be evidence to prove you were injured in the car accident. If you delay seeing a doctor, the other side will argue that you’re not that hurt or your injury is not from the accident.
- Not getting ongoing medical treatment.
- This is very important for you to know, pay close attention: generally speaking, the more medical treatment that you need to get, the more your case is worth. Yes, it might be time-consuming to see your chiropractor or physical therapist two or three times per week, get x-rays, get MRIs, or to see specialists, but it’s very important that you do. For two reasons: 1) so you get better and 2) so you can prove how much you were hurt.
- Not following your doctor’s advice.
- Listen to what your doctor has to tell you and make sure to follow his advice. If he says that you can’t work out or lift anything greater than 20 pounds, make sure that you don’t work out or lift anything greater than 20 pounds. If you don’t follow your doctor’s advice, you might not get better and the other side will argue that it’s you’re fault that you’re injured.
- Not reporting prior accidents and injuries.
- When your attorney or doctor asks you if you have any pre-existing injuries, don’t hide them or lie about them. Disclose them. It’s very important that they know about your pre-existing injuries. Pre-existing injuries don’t necessarily hurt your case – they may even help your case. What absolutely ruins your case is if you don’t disclose it to your attorney and the other side knows about it. You don’t want your attorney to be caught off guard.
- Posting on Social Media
- You have to assume that whatever you post on Facebook and Instagram will be seen by the other side – even if your profile is private. Don’t talk about yourself or post any photos of yourself until your case is over. If you can handle not posting, just avoid social media altogether. You can ruin your case with just a single post.
- Talking about your case with others.
- Don’t talk about your case with anyone other than your medical providers and your lawyer. The insurance company might call you to get you to sign something or provide a recorded statement. Don’t do it. Tell them to call your lawyer and let your lawyer handle it.
And last, but certainly not least, the 7th deadly mistake that can ruin your car accident case:
- Not getting a lawyer.
- If you were injured in a car accident, do yourself a favor and get a lawyer. A lawyer will help make sure that you get paid fairly for your injuries. A good personal injury lawyer will make sure they increase how much money goes to you even after attorney’s fees, costs, and medical bills are paid.
If you avoid these seven deadly mistakes after a car accident, you’re well on your way to making them pay.