Located about 30 miles east of Los Angeles in California, Pomona was named after the ancient Roman goddess of fruit as it became an economic leader in citrus in the early 1800s. After its incorporation in 1888, the city has grown exponentially, becoming part of one of the most populous metro areas in the state. Keep reading to learn why you will love living in Pomona.
Beautiful Year-Round Weather
With a Mediterranean climate, Pomona has hot and dry summers with mild and damp winters. The area gets sun year-round, and it experiences very little rainfall from June through September. August is the warmest month, with temperatures reaching the 90s. Fall brings cooler temperatures thanks to the seasonal Santa Ana winds that originate from the northeast. In December, temperatures dip to the upper 60s, and winter is when the area receives the majority of its annual precipitation.
Thanks to its beautiful weather and stunning location, Pomona is home to several festivals that take place throughout the year. Some of the more popular ones include the following:
- Art Walk. On the second Saturday of each month, check out the Art Walk at the Pomona Arts Colony. Galleries from across the city participate in this monthly event to highlight their recent exhibitions, and restaurants expand their hours to accommodate the influx of visitors.
- Chalk Art Festival. Typically held in the fall around November, this festival sees budding artists and residents decorating the sidewalk with brilliant displays of color. You can even participate if you feel inclined.
- Downtown Collectors Street Faire. Head to the famous Antique Row and experience this festival and marketplace, which occurs on the last Saturday in January, March, May, September, and November. Antique stores bring their goods to sell, and you can listen to live music and enjoy food from concession stands.
- LA County Fair. Held annually at the Fairplex each September, the LA County Fair is one of the largest in the country. Started almost 100 years ago, the fair has grown over the years and now more than one million visitors each year. It boasts a 13-acre carnival, kids’ expo, and an operational farm. Check out its End of Summer Concert Series, which features 19 nights of musical entertainment.
Pomona is home to several entertainment locations, perfect for families or a night out with some friends. Get ready for a memorable experience at one of these three venues:
- Chronos Escape Room. This real-life escape room locks you in a chamber with other participants and you all use elements of the room to solve a series of puzzles so you ultimately escape. All the games are private, so you will only work with people you know.
- Fox Theater Pomona. This movie venue, which was constructed in the 1920s, has an Art Deco vibe. After shutting down for more than 30 years, the theater reopened in 2009 and boasts state-of-the-art lighting and sound technology, giving you a truly memorable viewing experience.
- Glass House Pomona. As one of the best sites in the area to listen to music, the Glass House Pomona is an all-ages venue. It hosts a variety of musical acts, so make sure you check out its schedule.
Take advantage of the year-round sunshine and enjoy Pomona’s outdoor offerings. Even if you’re more of a spectator than a participant, this city has something for everyone.
- Auto Club Raceway. Also known as the Pomona Raceway, this site is one of the premium racing facilities in the area. It has a drag strip that runs a quarter-mile, and it hosts the annual Winternationals racing event.
- Mountain Meadows Golf Course. This 18-hole championship golf course is surrounded by towering jacaranda trees along with other native foliage. The manicured course features several unique holes and elevation changes, providing for an unparalleled golfing experience.
- Palomares Park. This downtown 18-acre park is perfect for a casual stroll or for playing outdoor games. This venue is frequented by skateboarders, and there is a cycling track that’s slightly more than a half-mile in length.
Culture and History
There’s no shortage of cultural locations to check out in Pomona. Take the time to learn more about the history of the area at one of these three museums.
- American Museum of Ceramic Art. Dedicated to educating and inspiring others about ceramics, this museum hosts a variety of exhibitions and collections of ceramic art throughout the year. Its permanent collection consists of more than 7,000 pieces. You can also participate in educational and outreach programs.
- RailGiants Train Museum. Located at the Fairplex, this historical railroad museum takes you back to days when people frequently traveled by rail. The museum houses some of the country’s best-preserved locomotives.
- Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum. Also found in the Fairplex, this museum is dedicated to everything related to drag racing. Walk around and gaze at the huge collection of automobiles and motorcycles. Exhibits include one of the first dragster cars to reach 300 mph and memorabilia from the Indianapolis 500.
After spending an entire day exploring all that Pomona has to offer, you might be hungry. Make sure to check out one of these restaurants and enjoy some mouth-watering meals.
- Corky’s Kitchen and Bakery. This neighborhood chain prepares breakfast, classic American fare, and homemade pies. Opened in 1999, this restaurant has a wide array of tasty home-style entrees all prepared from scratch and uses locally sourced ingredients.
- Pomona Valley Mining Company. As a rustic and casual American steakhouse, this restaurant sits in the hills overlooking Pomona Valley. Its extensive menu features quality meats, poultry, and seafood as well as rich desserts.
- Tropical Mexico. Serving traditional Mexican food and drinks, this restaurant also provides a fun ambiance. Enjoy some favorites like fajitas, tacos, and burritos, and pair your meal with one of the numerous libations. Select from globally-inspired wines, craft beers, margaritas, and tequilas.
Attorneys at Lem Garcia Law are proud to serve those who live in the Pomona community, giving them quality legal representation for their personal injury cases. If you were involved in an accident and need representation, contact one of our offices to learn more about how we can help you secure the compensation you deserve.