The police officer did not report my car accident accurately and has me at fault. What can I do?

the-police-officer-did-not-report-my-car-accident-accurately-and-has-me-at-fault-what-can-i-doWhile the police report is very important to determine liability, the police report is not the final word as to who is actually at fault. The judge or jury determines who is actually at fault. With that in mind, it is important that you do not get overly concerned about whether a police report places you at fault. The reporting police officer did not see the accident and is merely providing his own opinion as to what happened based on his conversations with the parties involved and what he sees at the scene of the crash. The reporting police officer is most likely not trained in accident reconstruction and is not as qualified to provide an opinion as to what happened compared to someone who is trained in accident reconstruction.

Police officers often report car accident information incorrectly and their reports can be filled with numerous inaccuracies.

If you were involved in a car accident and the police officer wrote down information incorrectly, you can always add a supplement to the police report or request that the police officer make an amendment to it. The original report will most likely still be available, and any amendments or supplements will be stapled to the back of the original report. In most situations, an amendment or supplement will not have an effect on the insurance company’s decision as to who is at fault.

The purpose of making an amendment or supplement to the police report is to show that you do not agree with what the police officer originally reported. The next step that you will have to overcome is proving what actually happened.

Ultimately, if the police report is incorrect, and places you at fault, it does not mean that you are automatically at fault. What is in the police report can often be contested in your favor. Do not give up. If you know you were not at fault, talk to an experienced personal injury attorney who may be help you. An attorney will have a good chance to prove your version of the facts based on what you tell your attorney and the photos available in your case.

If you’ve been in involved in a car collision and need help, call Lem Garcia Law, car accident lawyer in West Covina.

By West Covina car accident lawyer, Lem Garcia