GET HELP FROM A TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYER IN WEST COVINA, LEM GARCIA
Semi-truck accidents are extremely common in Southern California. Unfortunately, even a minor accident can cause a lot of damage when a truck is involved. This is largely due to the sheer size of semi-trucks, which often weigh up to 30 times as much as a car. In most cases, it’s the other vehicle, including its passengers and driver, that receives the brunt of the impact.
Get Your 100% Free Case Evaluation Today
Semi-trucks are difficult to maneuver and drive, which is why it’s so important for truck drivers to receive the proper training and remain alert when on the road. Truck drivers are subject to special laws and regulations that are meant to reduce the risk of big truck wrecks and protect other drivers. For example, truckers have to limit themselves to certain hourly driving limits and obtain special licenses.
Aside from federal laws that require drivers to properly maintain their semis and get them regularly inspected, the state of California has specific rules about a truck’s weight limit, size, and the freight they can carry. Even with all of these special guidelines and regulations, big truck wrecks still happen, often as a result of:
- Driver negligence
- The transport of hazardous materials
- Unsecured or otherwise unsafe loads
- Over-sized and overweight trailers
- Extreme road and weather conditions
- Distracted truckers while driving
- Truck driver fatigue due to unrealistic schedules
- Trucker mistakes
- Improper maintenance of the rig
- Truck company negligence
- Poorly screened truckers
- Improper passing or reversing
- Blind spots
Unlike most car accidents, there are usually several parties that can potentially get legally involved when a truck accident takes place, such as:
- Other pedestrians and drivers injured as a result of the semi-truck crash can pursue legal action.
- The loading company can be held liable if loose cargo spilling out of the vehicle resulted in a big truck wreck.
- The shipping company can take legal action if the semi-truck accident resulted in a missed deadline.
- If a mechanical failure, such as a malfunction of the air brakes, caused the truck accident, accountability can shift to the truck manufacturer.
- In some cases, semi-truck companies own the trucks, and it’s their insurance that covers the drivers. In those situations, the trucking company’s legal team handles the case.
Regardless of who’s at fault for a semi-truck crash, there are inevitably other parties involved that have their own insurance companies and legal representation. These companies and lawyers have a primary goal of paying out the absolute smallest settlement that they can.
Even after you’ve been hit by a truck, there are still potential dangers that could pose a threat to you and others. For example, big truck wrecks often block roadways, making it difficult for safety personnel and other vehicles to see potential survivors and bystanders. On top of that, severe weather conditions and blind spots can make the situation even harder to navigate.
- If you are involved in a truck accident, your first responsibility is to make sure that you are safe and out of harm’s way. Afterward, you can calmly check on the other passengers and persons involved to see if they are okay. It may be tempting, but it’s very important that you refrain from moving anyone that has been injured if they can’t move. You could unknowingly and unintentionally cause further injury.
- Call 911 as soon as you possibly can to make sure first responders can make it to the scene in a timely manner, block oncoming cars, and provide medical care to any injured persons.
- If you were involved in a semi-truck accident, seek medical attention immediately. Your health comes first. You may have medical problems that are very serious but have not presented themselves yet because you are in shock.
- If you can, you should try to wait for help at a safe distance from the scene of the accident because it can be an unsafe and unpredictable environment.
- Avoid saying anything at the moment that could be used against you in court. When accidents occur, people instinctively want to apologize for their part, but this can be used to establish your fault for the semi-truck crash. If you say the wrong thing, you could be held liable for a truck accident that you’re not actually at fault for.
- As soon as you are physically and emotionally able, contact West Covina semi-truck accident attorney Lem Garcia for a free consultation. Lem Garcia is a West Covina personal injury attorney who handles truck accidents and wants you to get you everything that you deserve to hold the liable party fully accountable for the injuries they have caused.
Contrary to their catchy slogans, insurance companies aren’t looking out for the consumer. Insurance companies look out for themselves first and foremost. Collectively, the U.S. insurance industry has $3.8 trillion in assets. They save this money by denying and minimizing claims as much as possible. Without an attorney, you probably won’t be able to get the best settlement for you and your family.
Most of the time, it is in your best interest to have a lawyer represent you because a skilled attorney can ensure you get back on your feet and get fully compensated for all of the damages caused by a semi-truck accident. Big truck wrecks are often very serious accidents, and you can easily and quickly deplete your insurance coverage before you have fully recovered and are able to return to work. This is where it is especially important to talk to a skilled personal injury attorney who can fully evaluate each detail of the liability and work hard to recover every possible benefit for you.
Call me with any questions or concerns you might have about your accident. I am a semi-truck accident attorney in West Covina, and I look forward to helping you. I provide FREE consultations to semi-truck accident victims throughout Southern California. I am committed to giving you and your case the personal attention and respect you expect from your personal injury lawyer.
Get Your 100% Free Case Evaluation Today
Lem Garcia | Law
1720 W. Cameron Ave., Ste. 210
West Covina, CA 91790
3281 E. Guasti Rd., 7th Floor
Ontario, CA 91761
(By Appointment Only)
17777 Center Court Dr.
Cerritos, CA 90703
(By Appointment Only)