The car insurance information I received from the person who hit me does not have his name on it. Are they still going to provide him with coverage? How can I get my damages paid for?


It is very common for another party to give insurance information that does not contain the driver’s name. It should not cause you too much stress at this point because in most situations the driver will be covered under the policy.

Here is a list of who is and is not covered.

The Named Insured
The person named on the insurance card provided is definitely a named insured. Sometimes the insurance card does not list all of the named insured’s. Some car insurance carriers give each named insured their own card with only their name on it. If the car insurance card or proof of insurance you received does not contain the driver’s name, it is possible he or she is still a named insured, but the car insurance card just does not contain that person’s name.

The Spouse
In most situations, the named insured’s spouse will also be provided coverage even if the spouse is not a named insured. If you receive a car insurance card contains the spouse’s name, most likely the driver will be covered. In the event that the couple does not live together anymore, the unnamed spouse will not be covered automatically. The unnamed spouse must have the named spouse’s permission to drive the vehicle.

A Relative
A relative of the named of the named insured will also be provided coverage if the relative is living with the named insured and carries a valid driver license. The relative must be related to the named insured by blood, marriage, or adoption.

Anyone Else Driving the Insured Vehicle
Anybody else who is driving the insured’s vehicle will be covered provided that the person who is driving has the insured’s permission to drive the vehicle and does not drive the car regularly or live with the named insured.

In short, the person driving the car does not have to be the person named on the proof of car insurance card. There are many other instances where a person other than the named insured will be provided coverage by the car insurance company. This is only general information. It is important that you read and understand your own car insurance policy as each policy is different.

In the event that the person who hit you does not have car insurance, you can still recover from your own policy if you have uninsured motorist coverage, medical payments coverage, and collision coverage. If you do not have adequate coverage under your own policy, you can still sue the person directly and attempt to receive payment from the other person directly.

If you were involved in a car accident, call West Covina car accident attorney, Lem Garcia, for a free case strategy session. We will meet with you regardless of whether the other party had insurance or not.

By: Lem Garcia, car accident attorney in West Covina