GET HELP FROM AN UBER OR LYFT ACCIDENT LAWYER IN WEST COVINA, LEM GARCIA
It is very important that you seek the help of an attorney when you are involved in a car or pedestrian accident involving Uber of Lyft. The insurance companies that provide coverage to these companies are always looking for ways to diminish the value your case or reject your case altogether. Lem Garcia Law knows how to handle cases against Uber and Lyft and we are more than happy to help you with your case – even if you just have a simple question about what you should do.
Get Your 100% Free Case Evaluation Today
Uber and Lyft car accidents can happen for a number of reasons. One of the leading causes of rideshare accidents is distraction on the part of the rideshare driver. These drivers utilize GPS software, usually on a mobile phone, to ensure they get passengers to the right location. However, while GPS systems are often hands-free, they still require the driver to take their eyes off the road to look at the GPS’s small screen for directions.
Additionally, Uber and Lyft drivers are frequently using their phones while driving to determine when they have a new passenger to pick up and to accept or decline passenger requests. This can be very distracting and cause the driver to not only look away from the roads for several seconds at a time but also use one or occasionally two hands to respond to passenger requests on their device.
Uber and Lyft drivers are also susceptible to other distractions just like any other person driving a vehicle. For example, they may use their phone to change the music or answer an incoming phone call. They may also be distracted by their passengers if they are participating in an active conversation or if the passenger is behaving inappropriately or getting sick in the car. Additionally, many Uber and Lyft drivers work long hours, and some overnight, that can lead to increased drowsiness behind the wheel.
Additional causes of Uber and Lyft car accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Falling asleep behind the wheel or excess fatigue while driving
- Not adhering to traffic signals
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Loss of control of the vehicle
- Tailgating other vehicles
- Not yielding to the right of way
When you turn to Lem Garcia Law for help following an Uber or Lyft accident, we will thoroughly investigate the accident to get to the bottom of the cause. We will determine who is at fault as well as the insurance liability options available to compensate you for your injuries whether you’re the driver or the passenger.
If you’ve been in an Uber or Lyft car accident, there are certain steps you should take immediately following the accident or as soon as possible. These steps include:
- Call the police: You should always contact law enforcement following a vehicle accident and especially if you are in an accident as a passenger in an Uber or Lyft rideshare. Reporting the accident allows the police to take necessary steps in the event of injury and damages and provides you with a physical police report to use when filing an insurance claim.
- Seek professional medical attention: You should also get medical attention following a vehicle accident, even if you don’t feel that you’ve been injured. Some injuries such as those caused by whiplash can take days or even weeks to affect you. If you wait to seek medical treatment, you may not be able to bring a claim against Uber or Lyft for your medical injuries.
- Get the crash documented with the rideshare company: You should also report the accident with the rideshare company you using when the accident happened. You can typically report an accident through the Uber or Lyft app on your mobile device.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: Before you give a statement to your insurance company or Uber/Lyft’s insurance representatives, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney in the Southern California county where the accident happened. This ensures that you are fully prepared when bringing an accident injury claim against Uber or Lyft and helps keep your best interests at the forefront of the situation.
If the Uber or Lyft accident you were involved in occurred in California, your personal injury claim is governed by California’s statute of limitations which states that personal injury victims have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. After two years have passed, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to bring a lawsuit regarding the accident or any accompanying fees. The longer you wait to initiate a lawsuit, the more difficult it will be to win your case successfully.
This is why it’s imperative you contact a trusted Southern California personal injury lawyer as soon as possible following your Uber or Lyft accident. They can help you navigate the complex legal system and assist you in seeking any compensation for the accident.
California is a fault-based vehicle insurance state which means that the person or party who caused the accident is held responsible for the injuries and damages resulting from the crash. However, Uber and Lyft often try to avoid liability whenever possible for accidents caused by their drivers. This can make the process of assigning liability more complex and is a primary reason why victims injured in a rideshare accident should seek professional legal help.
According to California law, victims injured in an auto accident are entitled to coverage for a variety of damages that include both intangible and monetary losses due to the crash. Common damages you may be entitled to receive compensation for include:
- Mental anguish
- Loss of income due to an injury
- Compensation for disability
- Hospital expenses including emergency room costs
- Medical expenses including medication and rehabilitation treatment
- Wrongful death
These are just a few of the many damages you could receive monetary compensation for. However, this compensation can be challenging to recover when dealing with large companies such as Uber or Lyft without the assistance of legal representation. If you’ve been involved in a rideshare auto accident in Los Angeles County, San Bernardino County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Diego County, or Imperial County, turn to Lem Garcia Law to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Get Your 100% Free Case Evaluation Today
Lem Garcia | Law
1720 W. Cameron Ave., Ste. 210
West Covina, CA 91790
3281 E. Guasti Rd., 7th Floor
Ontario, CA 91761
(By Appointment Only)
17777 Center Court Dr.
Cerritos, CA 90703
(By Appointment Only)